What Is Virtual Internship?
The National Virtual Internship program started 11 years ago as a concept to help prepare undergraduates of the nation’s tertiary institutions to understand the culture of formal working environment. Where space no longer becomes a barrier.
The concept is to engage both the academia and the corporate world to bridge the gap that exists. Over the years, we have engaged companies like Databank, Enterprise Group, PZ Cussons, Busy Internet, Electroland Ghana Ltd, Accra City Hotel, Devtraco, Environmental Protection Agency, and other professionals from Toyota Ghana Limited etc. Koforidua Technical University has been the main beneficiary of the concept till 2017 when the team rolled out Accra Technical University. The programme runs on their respective campuses every long vacation. The team is in touch with the remaining eight Technical Universities to roll out by 2021.
It is a long vacation activities packed program where companies come to campus to operate their virtual offices with their office set up where applicable (students of the various institutions ranging from, Accra Technical University, Zenith College, Central University, University of Ghana etc. have benefited from the program)
The program is in 4 phases with the end game focusing on self-employment through projects from campus and current industry essential skills development.
• Bridge the gap between the academia and the corporate world
• To achieve the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goal Four (Quality Education) Target 4.4
• Students / unemployed graduates undertake their Industrial attachment opportunities at their doorstep
• Office space no longer becomes a reason why a company cannot engage with interns because the school becomes the Virtual Office
• An equal opportunity is created for students coming from different disciplines to engage with blue chip companies
• To encourage entrepreneurship and innovation among students
• Training program
• Culture of work and school
• Governance and business Leadership development
• Fulfil academic requirements per the Technical Universities Act 2016, ACT 922
The program aims at:
• building key job skills into tertiary students through on-the-job training
• instilling into the tertiary student’s job ethics and corporate culture
• creating a platform for corporate Ghana to offer internship
Role of Student:
• Payment and registration for the program
• Dress code to meet company standards
• Full participation in the orientation
• Adopt company setups as real office space
• Record progress and self-assessment